Friday, June 17, 2011

Sonia & the Super Tuscan





Poggio al Tufo
Rompicollo
Maremma Toscana
2009

So I have a little bit of a reputation for being the wino of the family. What can I say, I like wine. Especially when it's good wine. I'm in no way, shape or form a wine expert. I don't even consider myself to be a wine snob, although in fairness to full disclosure, I have to admit to turning my nose to a wine or two.

So "Super Tuscan" describes any Tuscan red wine that does not adhere to traditional blending laws for the region. I once thought that Super Tuscans had to contain Sangiovese, which as it turns out, is untrue. Super Tuscans often use other grapes, especially Cabernet Sauvignon, making them ineligible for classification under the traditional rules, no DOC(G) is authenticated on these bottle. So this wine, much like me, doesn't fit into any classification, can't adhere to the rules, and is a blended to create an end result which is fanastico. I love it for it's drinkability. It's not pretentious or overbearing and goes great with food.

This blend is 60% Sangiovese and 40% Cabernet Sauvignon from the "Poggio al Tufo" estate south of Pitigliano, in the heart of "Maremma Toscana", which is located just south of Tuscany and is owned by the Tommasi family whom acquired these vines in 1997.

The Rompicollo vineyard (Italian for neck-breaker), sits upon volcanic soil rich of tufo and has a southern exposure which allows for an abundance of sunlight.

This Intense ruby red wine is fermented in temperature controlled stainless steel tanks for 10 days and then allowed to mature in Slavonian oak barrels for 12 months.

It is well balanced, with good structure, a nice length & residual fruit flavors.

Great with red meat sauce, white meats & fresh cheeses.

Available at Joe's Italian by the glass and bottle.

My name is Sonia Bertolone and I am the owner of Joe's Italian in Alabaster, Alabama where you can always fine your little piece of authentic Italian cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment